Sunday, May 4, 2008

FUGAKYU: 1280 Beacon St, Brookline MA

My close friend firmly believes that the main reason one should go out for sushi is for the sake. She LOVES the stuff. And while the sake motivates her to try new places, she has actually become a big fan of the cuisine along the way. So, when we are in the mood to drown our appetite with the latest infusion, I usually let her pick the place. I also am a bit spoiled and let her order for me as she has become somewhat of an expert with pairing sake with the many different, unpronounceable, choices on the menu. Over the years, she has brought me to many diverse Japanese restaurants in the greater Boston area that definitely range in price and sophistication. The research she has forced me to do has been very intoxicating and after downing several carafes, I think I am ready to make the difficult decision on my favorite sushi establishment. Fugakyu was actually one of the first sushi restaurants she brought me to and very few have compared since. Not only is the name fun to say, but apparently the Brookline location is the largest sushi restaurant in New England (so the website states). At first, this turned me off as I tend to like smaller more private establishments better. But after dining in the screened Tatami room, I put my own reservations aside and enjoyed the Fugakyu experience. The pricey menu consists of traditional and nouveau Japanese cuisine and to my friends delight, the sake list is quite extensive. I would definitely recommend making a reservation as this is one of the more popular sushi places in Boston.

It is difficult for me to fairly assign Fugakyu kirby cakes due to the fact that my dining experience consists of me not having to put any effort in because my friend does all the thinking for me. I merely show up to reservations already made, carafes of sake already picked out and my meal already paired. Therefore, I will tentatively assign 3.5 kirby cakes until I cut the umbilical cord and head out for sushi on my own!







No comments: